Ezra - Nehemiah
Book 10 - of the 11 foundational books
An est.70 years lapse from the captivity and carrying away
of the inhabitants of the southern kingdom, to their first return,
led by Zerubbabel. These Jews restored their genealogy and set about to rebuild the temple, under much opposition,
Some main persons and events of Ezra
Ch.1-10 - Cyrus, Zerubbabel, Artaxerxes, EzraEvents - The return of Jews, building the temple, opposition from the inhabitants of the land, Artaxerxes suspends the work, the work resumed, The prophets Haggai and Zachariah encourage the Jews to complete the work, Ezra’s ministry.
*Other books during the time of Ezra
EstherWriting - Prophets to the returning Jews to their homeland
Ch.1-6 A return under Zerubbabel
1. The king of Persia, king____________ issued a decree, permitting Jews to return to Jerusalem.
2. Besides the Jews themselves, what else did the king
allow to return?_____________________________________
3. Chapter two deals with: a. numbers of the people returning b. the amount of moneys contributed
4. When the foundation of the temple was laid, the people wept and________________________________________
5. What did adversaries of the Jews first try to do? a. kill Zerubbabel b. join in the work c. tear down the foundation
6. Artaxerxes orders the work on the temple to be stopped. true - false
7. The work was resumed during the ________year of the reign of Darius, king of Persia.
8. What two prophets ministered unto the Jews, at this
9. The house of the Lord was finished in the sixth year of the reign of Darius. true - false* During the years that pass between Ch. 6-7; the events of the book of Esther take place.
Ch.7-10 A return under Ezra
10. Ezra was a ready scribe in the law of___________________________________________________________
11. Ezra was upset at the Jews when he got to Jerusalem
because. a. they had mingled with the inhabitants of the land;
taking wives from among them b. wasn’t working on the temple
12. After prayer, weeping and confession of sins the Jews were to put away their foreign wives. true - false
Back to top
Book 11 - of the 11 foundational books
This book records the return of Nehemiah with permission to rebuild the walls around Jerusalem, the opposition to the rebuilding of the walls, and a great revival under Ezra. Some main persons and events of Nehemiah.
Ch.1-13 Nehemiah, Ezra
Events The rebuilding of the walls, opposition, Revival under Ezra
1. How does it affect Nehemiah when he learns that the
wall around Jerusalem was broken down and the gates
2. What was the name of the king that gave Nehemiah
permission to return to Jerusalem, with letters of safe passage?
3. Nehemiah inspects the walls and gates under the cover of darkness. true - false
4. Sanballat was eager to help Nehemiah. true - false
5. Ch.3 concerns the cost of repairing the walls. true - false
6. Sanballat and Tobiah ridicule the work. true - false
7. At times the opposition to building the wall was so
intense that half of the workers had to be armed, while the other half
worked. true - false
8. Why was Nehemiah angry at some of the rich
9. Sanballat sent Nehemiah a letter, accusing Nehemiah and
the Jews of rebuilding the wall, to rebel and make Nehemiah
their a. high priest b. king c. god
10. How many days did it take to complete the work on the wall?__________________________________________
* Ch.8-10 Revival under Ezra
11. Ezra was a__________ as well as a scribe. a. priest b. prophet c. king
12. Ezra read to the people the law that God gave to Moses. true - false
13. What happened with all the people of Israel on the 24
day of the month?_________________________________
Dedication of the wall, Temple procedures restored*Ch.13 some events of-
Israel separates themselves from mixed multitude (foreigners), Sabbath rest restored, Law against intermarriage with other people enforced.
Back to top