Old Testament Study
Basic facts and Genesis
This study course will be made up of the 11 historical foundational books of the Old Testament. Within the time frame of these 11 books, the remaining books of the Old Testament interact, and were written. The first 11 chapters of the book of Genesis gives the account of Creation, the fall of man, the first murder, the tower of Babel, and the great flood.
From Genesis ch.12 to the last book of the Old Testament, it is Godís dealings with the nation of Israel, of which He raised up from the loins of Abraham; out of which would come the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ: who would be the Savior of all of mankind; ( In him shall the Gentiles hope etc. Isaiah 9:2, 60:3 Ephesians 3:6 ) the fulfillment of the promise, that God gave in Genesis 3:15, that from the womanís seed, God would bruise Satanís head. Hallelujah !
The following 11 historical books will make up this study course.
Some basic facts
Genesis is the book of beginnings. The beginning of the universe, the human race, earth animals, sin, redemption, and the Hebrew ( Jewish ) people.
Some main persons and events of Genesis.
Ch.1-5 God, Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Seth, Satan
Events Creation, fall of man, promise of a Savior, murder, Cainís exile, birth of Seth
Ch.6-10 Noah and family
Events The Great flood judgment, Godís promise and sign of the rainbow
Ch.11 The people at Babel
Events The confusion of languages
Ch.12-50 Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph
Events Beginning of Hebrew nation, Abrahamic covenant, Jews move to Egypt
Exodus deals with the deliverance of the Hebrew ( Jewish ) people from slavery, in Egypt, by the miraculous hand of God. At the close of the book of Genesis, Joseph and his family ( est. 75 people ) move to Egypt and after an increase in population were enslaved by Pharaoh. Another word for Exodus would be exit, departure.
Some main persons and events of Exodus
Ch.1- 40 Moses, Aaron, Miriam, Pharaoh, Jethro
Birth of Moses, the call of Moses, the Plagues, the
Passover, the Exodus,
the Red Sea, Jethro's advise, Giving of the Law ( Ten Commandments )
the building of the tabernacle and its furnishings
The first part of this book deals with the experiences of the Hebrews at Mt. Sinai; the latter part, their wanderings in the desert for forty years, thus, the theme of this book is considered by many, Wilderness Wanderings.
Some main persons and events of Numbers
Ch.1-36 Moses, Aaron, priesthood, ten spies, Joshua, Korah, Balaam
Constant murmuring of the people, spies sent to spy out the land,
intercessions, Aaronís rod buds, Moses sin, smiting the rock,
Balaamís prophecies, years of wanderings, preparations to enter promise land
The book of Joshua records for the most part the military conquest of the promised land and concludes with instructions, for dividing the land. Joshua served under Moses and was appointed as his successor.
Some main persons and events of Joshua
Ch.1- 24 Joshua, the 12 tribes, Rahab, Achan, Amorites, Gibeonites
Joshua assumes command, spies sent out, military campaigns,
the new generation of Jews, wall of Jericho falls, Achan's sin, Gibeonite's
trickery, dividing of the land.
After the 12 tribes of Israel settle down in the promise land Joshua dies, without leadership, the people begin to fall away from God and his commandments. God raises up Spirit filled Judges ( leaders ) that bring about spiritual revival and unity.
Some main persons and events of Judges
Ch.1-21 13 Judges - Othniel, Ehud,
Shamgar, Deborah, Barak, Gideon, Tola, Jair,
Jephthah, Ibzan, Elon, Abdon, Samson
Gideon's victory, Samson slays a lion, slays 30 men, burns crops, slays
1000 Philistine men, defeated by a woman, his eyes put
out, Samson destroys the
temple of the Philistines and dies with many people. Civil war with the tribe
This book begins with the life of Samuel, who was called to the Prophets office, but is mainly about David. After the time of the Judges, the people of Israel want a King and Samuel is directed by the Lord to anoint Saul, to be the first king of Israel.
After disobeying God, the Lord rejects Saul; and David is chosen and anointed to be the next king; which brings about the persecution of David by Saul. 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel are considered one book in the Hebrew bible, the Tanak.
Some main persons and events of 1 Samuel
Ch.1-31 Samuel, Eli, Philistines, Saul, David, Jonathon, Nabal
Samuelís birth, Eliís sons die, Philistines capture the Ark of God, Ark
returned to Israel, Saul chosen as King, Saul is rejected, David is chosen and
anointed, David kill giant Goliath, Saul persecutes David, David and
Jonathon become friends, Saul and Jonathon are slain.
In this book, David comes to power, first over the tribe of Juda and some years later over all of Israel. This book records Davidís victories, his personal sins of adultery, a plot of murder, and the numbering of the people. Davidís daughter is raped by a half brother, whom in turn, is murdered by another brother, Absolom: who is banished for his crime but later is brought back to Israel. Absolom stirs up a revolt against David which fails and is killed in the ongoing battle.
Some main persons and events of 2 Samuel
Ch.1-24 David, Abner, Joab,
Mephibosheth, Bath-sheba, Uriah, Absolom, Tamar,
David becomes king, Jerusalem becomes the capital of Israel, Davidís sin,
Tamar is raped, the revolt of Absolom, the Ark is returned to Jerusalem, the
Davidic covenant given, Absolom is killed.
The first eleven captures records Davidís death, and the reign of his son Solomon until his death. Following the death of king Solomon, the kingdom is divided, each having its own king. The northern kingdom consisted of 10 tribes under the rule of Jeroboam, with the southern kingdom consisting of 2 tribes, under the rule of Rehoboam.
* One must have an understanding of this division, to understand all the events that transpire, leading up to the conquering and captivity of the 2 kingdoms by the Assyrians and Babylonians.
Some main persons and events of 1 Kings
Ch.1-22 Solomon, Queen of Sheba, Rehoboam, Jeroboam, Elijah, Ahab, Jezebel
Solomon becomes king, God gives Solomon wisdom, Solomon has the temple
built, his reign as king, Shekinah-Glory fills the temple, The visit of Queen of
Sheba, Rehoboamís foolishness, The ministry of Elijah
This book records the fall of the northern kingdom, the 10 tribes called Israel, with Samaria as their capital; the southern kingdom, consisting of 2 tribes known as Judah with Jerusalem as their capital. The northern kingdom was conquered by the Assyrians around 721 BC. and the southern kingdom was conquered around 606 BC. by the Babylonians. From the people taken captive by the Babylonians, there was three separate returns of the Jews, to their homeland.
Some main persons and events of 2 Kings
Ch.1-25 Elijah, Elisha, Succeeding kings, Assyrians and Babylonians
Elijah taken to heaven by a whirlwind, Elisha succeeds him, signs and
done by Elisha, Israel invaded, Judah invaded
An est.70 years lapse from the captivity and carrying away of the inhabitants of the southern kingdom, to their first return, led by Zerubbabel. These Jews restored their genealogy and set about to rebuild the temple, under much opposition,
Some main persons and events of Ezra
Ch.1-10 Cyrus, Zerubbabel, Artaxerxes, Ezra
return of Jews, building the temple, opposition from the inhabitants of
land, Artaxerxes suspends the work, the work resumed, The prophets Haggai
and Zacharia encourage the Jews to complete the work, Ezraís ministry.
This book records the return of Nehemiah with permission to rebuild the walls around Jerusalem, the opposition to the rebuilding of the walls, and a great revival under Ezra.
Some main persons and events of Nehemiah
Ch.1-13 Nehemiah, Ezra
Events The rebuilding of the walls, opposition, Revival under Ezra
Back to top
Book 1 - of the 11 foundational books
Other books during the time period of Genesis
Book of Job
Genesis Ch. 1-5
1. What did God do on the first day?________________________________________________________________
2. On what day did God create man?________________________________________________________________
3. What did God do on the 7th day?_________________________________________________________________
4. At what point did Adam become a living soul?________________________________________________________
5. What job did God give Adam to do in the garden? ____________________________________________________
6. Who gave names to all the animals? 1. God 2. Adam 3. Eve
7. In your own words describe the creation of
8. After being tempted by Satan, what 3 things
compelled Eve to eat of the forbidden tree?________________________
9. Whom did Adam blame for his disobedience? 1. God 2. Satan 3. Eve
10. What curse did God put upon
11. Upon Eve?_________________________________________________________________________________
13. Why did God drive Adam and Eve out of the
14. What kept them from going back into the garden?___________________________________________________
15. Abel's occupation was 1. farmer 2. carpenter 3. sheep herder
16. In your opinion why did Cain kill
17. The name of Adamís 3rd son was a. Saul b. Seth c. Enoch
18. Adam lived how many years? a. 800 b. 930 c. 730
19. Enoch______________ with God and he was not; for God took him.
20 Name the three sons of Noah____________________________________________________________________
1. Why did it repent the Lord that he had made man
on the earth?___________________________________________
2. Noah found __________in the eyes of the Lord.
3. The Ark was built out of what kind of wood? a. oak b. cedar c. gopher
4. The size of the ark was_________________________________________________________________________
5. By what was God going to destroy mankind?________________________________________________________
6. How many days did it rain?
7. What mountain did the ark come to rest upon?_______________________________________________________
8. The second bird sent out of the ark was a___________________________________________________________
9. God told Noah that every living thing they could
eat: what restriction did he put on this?_________________________
10. In your own words, what do you think God means in Genesis 9:6_________________________________________
11. What promise did God make, in the covenant that
he made, with all mankind and animals at thistime?______________
12. The token of this covenant was a. clouds b. rainbow c. doves
13. Which of the brothers saw their father uncovered? Shem - Ham - Japheth
14. Noah lived____________ years.
15. Nimrod was a mighty_____________ a. farmer b. fisherman c. hunter
16. In whoís day was the earth divided? a. Elam b. Sidon c. Peleg
17. What do you think this means, the earth was
18. At one time, all the earth was of one speech ( language ) true or false
19. At the tower at Babel what did God do to the
language of the people?____________________________________
To the people?______________________________________________________________________________
20. Why do you suppose God did this?_______________________________________________________________
21. Abramís ( Abraham ) father was. a. Haran b. Terah c. Nahor
22. What was the name of Abramís wife? ____________________________________________________________
23. Abram and his family were from the land of. a. Ur b. Canaan c. Harran
1. What command did God give to Abram concerning the land he was living in?________________________________
2. What sort of blessings did God
pronounce upon Abram?_______________________________________________
3. Why did Abram go into Egypt?__________________________________________________________________
4. Abram and Lot departed company because-
5. When Lot was taken captive, what did Abram do
6. To whom did Abram give a tithe to?_______________________________________________________________
7. God Appeared unto Abram. a. by a tree b. in a vision c. in a dream
8. Why did God have Abram look up at the
9. How many years did God tell Abram, that his
seed ( offspring ) would be afflicted
in a land that wasnít theirs? (Slaves in Egypt ) a. 200 yr.. b. 300 yr.. c. 400 yr..
10. Who was Ishmael?___________________________________________________________________________
11. How old was Abram when God changed his name to Abraham?_________________________________________
12. What was circumcision a sign of?_________________________________________________________________
13. Sarahís name was_____________________ before God changed it.
14. How did Abraham treat the 3 men that came to him
15. What did Sarah do, when they told them, they would have a son? a. cried b. laughed
16. Why were these 3 men ( angels ) going to Sodom and Gomorrah?________________________________________
17. What did Abraham do, upon learning of their
18. Why were the men of Sodom, (that had come to
Lotís house) struck blind?_________________________________
19. What happened to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah?________________________________________________
20. Who became a pillar of salt?____________________________________________________________________
21. What evil thing did Lots daughters
22. Why did Abraham get Sarah,( his wife ) to
pretend she was his sister?_____________________________________
1. Abraham was_______ years old when Isaac was born.
2. Why was Hagar and Ishmael cast out by
3. God tested Abraham by requiring him to sacrifice 1. Best lambs 2. his son 3. wife
4. Sarah died at the age of____________________
5. She was buried in the cave of 1. Jottom 2. Jana 3. Machpelah
6. What prayer did God answer, for
Abrahamís servant, when he was sent to get Isaac a
7. The name of Isaacís wife was. 1. Rachel 2. Leah 3. Rebekah
8. The name of Abrahamís 2nd. wife was. 1. Keturah 2. Gomer 3. Hanna
9. Isaac was _________years old when he married Rebekah
10. Esau and Jacob were twins. True - False
11. How did Jacob steal Esauís
12. What two women did Jacob marry?_______________________________________________________________
13. Which did he love the most?_____________________________________________________________________
14. Why was Jacob willing to serve Laben 7 Years?______________________________________________________
15. Besides his 2 wives, Jacob also had sons by what two women?___________________________________________
16. Rachelís 1st son was. 1. Judah 2. Joseph 3. Ruben
17. God changed Jacobís name to___________________________________________________________________
18. Esau forgives Jacob for tricking him out of his blessing and birthright. True - False
19. Why did Jacobís sons kill Shechem and the men of
20. Rachelís 2nd and last son was. 1. Laban 2. Benjamin 3. neither
21. In what manner did Rachel die?___________________________________________________________________
22. Why was Joseph hated by his brothers?____________________________________________________________
23. What terrible thing did they do to Joseph?___________________________________________________________
24. What lie did they tell to Jacob ( Israel )_____________________________________________________________
25. The Midianites sold Joseph to. 1. Pharaoh 2. Amorites 3. Potiphar
26. Including Joseph, how many sons did Jacob have? a. 10 b. 12 c. 13
1. What rank did Potiphar made Joseph? a. chief cook b. overseer over all his house
2. Why did Potiphar send Joseph to prison?___________________________________________________________
3. What two men had their dreams interpreted by
Joseph while in prison?_____________________________________
4. What sort of dream did Pharaoh have 2 years
5. Who told Pharaoh about Joseph? a. Butler b. Baker c. Potiphar
6. Pharaoh made Joseph ruler over all the land. true - false
7. For what purpose did Josephís brothers come to Egypt, the 1st time?______________________________________
8. Why did Joseph prevent Simeon from returning home?_________________________________________________
9. What did the brothers discover in their grain sacks, besides grain?_________________________________________
10. Whoís sack was Josephís cup put into? ___________________________________________________________
11. Benjamin was Josephís full blooded brother. true - false
12. In your words: why do you think Joseph tested his
13. All of Josephís family moved to Egypt. true - false
14. The name of the land that Josephís family moved to in Egypt was._________________________________________
15. How was it that Pharaoh ended up with all the
land? ( except for the priestsí )________________________________
16. What was the name of Josephís 2
17. Jesus descended from the line of Judah, what blessing did Jacob pronounce upon Judah?________________________
18. In the remaining space; what lessons can we learn
from the story of Joseph and his
Back to top