Wolves in Sheepskin
Wolves in Sheepskin
This study will be made up of:
My objective in this study course is to inform unaware Christians with
a basic understanding of the spiritual condition of the
times that we live in. The wolves among us are disguised with a cloak of
deception; which is exposed by an understanding and belief of Godís Word;
which sheds light on the error of their beliefs and ways. This study
course will cover some of the basics of the spiritual condition of
Apostate Churches, Cults, and the Occult influence.
* Observe the words
of His Majesty, The Lord Jesus Christ:
Matthews 2:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17. Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
1 Timothy 4:1-2 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some willdepart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
2. speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,
* The word Apostasy means to fall away or to abandon ones faith. For a person to abandon their faith, then itís apparent that they had embraced it at one time. The above scripture tell us why.
* They gave heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons. ( Demonic influence )
2 Peter 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
2. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
* 2 Peter 2:1 Tells us how doctrines of demons have entered the church. False prophets ( false preachers, not every one that is in the ministry is of God ). Notice that they bring in destructive heresies. A heresy is a teaching that breaks away from the truth.
* Not long ago I sat in a meeting of ministers and was appalled at some of the things that I heard. One minister in particular basically said that Jesus Christ wasnít the only way to God. This minister was a member of a large denomination. Several of these ministers were very educated ( college - seminary ) but very ignorant of Godís Word.
* Many main line denominations have rejected the Orthodox Christian doctrines that they once embraced and held dear to. Sadly, most of their members are not aware of the spiritual state of their church or denomination.
As for Jesus Christ being the only way to God, observe the following Scriptures:
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Ephesians 4:11-14 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
12. for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
13. till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14. that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness by which they lie in wait to deceive,
* Many are tossed to and fro in their faith by the very people that they trust their spiritual well being to. Beloved it is your responsibility to examine what you are listening to, check it out with the Bible, if it is not in line with biblical teaching then reject it. If your church or denomination falls away from the Christian truth, then flee from it as a building on fire, itís your soul and the souls of your loved ones! Find out what they teach.
1 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
4. and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
* There are many church goers that want a little religion to sooth their conscience and will seek out preachers who preach according to their desires. One of the problems with these kind of preachers is that they are hirelings. They are employed by the church and do not want to jeopardize their jobs or careers. Where is, the man of God?
-- Simple English
* There is a Divine call to ministry and then there are those who are seeking a career. If God has not called someone, then that person is not fit for the ministry; regardless of how much education they may have received.
1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
* When the Lord Jesus Christ walked this earth, He handpicked his servants and He has not changed.
Apostle Paulís Call
Acts 9:1-7 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
2. And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
3. And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
4. And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5. And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
6. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
Acts 22:10 10. And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.
New King James
James 3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
characteristics of Apostate churches
1. Reject the Bible to be the inspired Word of God and an authority in our lives.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17. that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2. No longer believe Jesus to be the only way of salvation
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Acts 4:12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.''
1 John 5:11-12 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
3. Infant Baptism
Mark 16:15-16 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
16. "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
See the following: Act_10:1-48
Acts 10:47-48 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?''
48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.
* Notice that while Peter was preaching about Jesus they received the Holy Spirit, later they were baptized in water. ( Only born again Christians receive the Holy Spirit ) they became Christians before they were baptized in water. Water Baptism has nothing to do with regeneration. ( infant baptism - a doctrine of demons )
4. Salvation is earned by self effort - works etc.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9. Not of works, lest any man should boast.
5.Salvation is only through their church
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Romans 10:9-13 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
13. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
( Salvation is through Jesus Christ, not the church, a personal commitment to Christ. )
6.For the most part have rejected the foundational beliefs of Christianity such as:
The Virgin Birth
Jesus Christ as the only begotten Son of God
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
7. Reject Godís Word and turn to Human philosophy as their source of teaching.
New King James
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.
2 Timothy 4:1-2 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
8.Embrace the teachings of the world - such as:
Genesis 19:4-5 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom, both young and old, surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, ď Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them. ( NIV )
Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind.
( See Leviticus Ch. 20 )
Romans 1:26-27 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
27. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. ( NIV )
1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders ( NIV )
* Notice the Words of Jesus
Matthew 19:4-5 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5. And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
* Because of sin as the result of the fall of man, people choose their life style - God did not make them that way.
* God says many times through out Holy Scriptures that homosexuality is wrong. No matter how we dress it up, sin is sin.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
If you stand for Bible truth, you may be called old fashion, a Bible thumper, ignorant etc. Your stand may displease man but to be sure, it will be pleasing to God.
9.Substitute the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit, with human abilities and understanding.
Luke 4:14, 18-19 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
18. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
1 Corinthians 2:4-5 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the spirit and of power;
5. That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers,
transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2 Corinthians 6:14-15 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15. And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
One of the deceptions of cults, is that they; many times use the same terminology as Christians but their meanings are not the same. An example of this, is the Way Internationalís teaching concerning the Holy Spirit.
The Orthodox Christian view of the Holy Spirit is that He is God, the
third person of the Trinity. The Way teach that the Holy Spirit is holy
spirit, which is the gift that God gives to men to replace manís spirit,
which ceased at the fall of Adam. Their is a vast difference between the
Most cults base their salvation upon their works and affiliation with the group that they belong to. As Orthodox Christians, we know that our salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ and by the work of His cross.Christians must not be ignorant of Satanís devices and if need be (Jud_1:3 earnestly contend for the faith.)
The best way to combat these groups, is to make sure that Christians are firmly rooted and grounded in Godís Word. Sadly their are many that are tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine ( Eph_4:14 ).
I once heard a Christian sister say ( concerning a certain cult group ) ďOh, they are such nice peopleĒ. Nice is not under consideration, a rejection of Jesus Christ will send a nice person to Hell, along with those that follow them.
2 John 1:7-11 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8. Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
9. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11. For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
The mistake of many Christians is to invite certain groups into their homes and allow them to share their teachings; which almost always causes confusion, to the point of upsetting the faith of some. The scriptures says receive them not into your home.
Most Christians are aware when it comes to cults such as the Davidians founded by David Koresh but are unaware of the ones that hold a respectable standing, in our communities; passing themselves off as Christian churches.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
Some Earmarks of Cults
In Christ's Service